Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why won't my PS3 display gameplay in 1080p?

I have a full 1080p, 120hz refresh rate, LED LCD 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron TV (Which I whole heartily recommend, along with the Samsung's SmartTV, even though in my opinion, apps are useless) that can (and does) display 1080p via HDMI from my cable box when watching movies (and some HD channels), and when the PS3 starts up and goes to the menu (also via HDMI).



I noticed that games made for the PS3 (Infamous 2, LA Noire) - have back covers that say the game can be displayed in 720p, and it does. Now, I recently bought Assassin's Creed Revelations, an Ubisoft production for PCs, but watered down for consoles like the PS3. I noticed the back said it can be displayed in 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p - so I dorked before playing it in hopes of seeing a game in 1080p (even though I can barely see the difference between 720p/1080p myself). However, when I turn it on, my TV confirms that the display from the PS3 switches from 1080p at the menu screen, to 720p when the game starts loading up.



At first I thought it was just some loophole companies can advertise on the back of the game-boxes for the PS3, since technically, the game disc for PCs can display full 1080p. But then I remembered that I bought Dragon Age Origins (A BioWare production for PCs) some time ago (Which I would not recommend for any console, but the game itself is great) - so I looked at the back and it said the game displays in only 480p and 720p. So there goes that theory.



My second theory was another loophole - that the cinematic videos for the game are in 1080p, but the gameplay itself is 720p. But every time a video displays (during gameplay or not), the display never switches to 1080p.



Is there something wrong with my setup, or are other people noticing this?



I'll list all the display settings so you can get a more accurate description:

Video Output: HDMI

RGB Full Range (HDMI) Full

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) On

Deep Color Output (HDMI) AutomaticWhy won't my PS3 display gameplay in 1080p?
games may support 1080p but not be coded to play in 1080p , not all games are full 1080p ( actually most are native resolution of only 720p )

even those might not be fully 720p

it's not a loophole , they post on the box the supported resolutions showing if you have a tv capable of those resolutions the game will display on that tv or monitor , it doesn't say " displays in 1080p " or plays in 1080p

if you bought a game showing supported resolution 480p , 720p , 1080p and had an older hdtv only capable of 1080i it wouldn't even show up on that tv , because it can't support 1080i

it really depends on the games coding which resolution it plays at , some say 1080p support but only have a few scenes in 1080p , or a menu , and the regular gameplay is a lower resolution

there's no rules saying what resolution a game will be displayed at or which sections will be 1080p , or even 720p



it's going to be different for every game , so unless it's a game like critter crunch , or wipeout hd that's made to play in 1080p always you won't see many that are full hd

when you play online you usually get either frame-rate cut to half of the offline rate or graphics in lower resolution too because if they didn't the isp's would not allow the game online , too much bandwidth



the only way you'll see full 1080p is to play a game made in 1080p and 60 frames/second so either download the demo or buy a psn title like wipeout hd , critter crunch or super streetfighter 2 hd remix .
  • bully dog
  • duplicolor
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment