Saturday, March 10, 2012

Which of these 5 recent PC RPGs would you most recommend?

I'm looking for a good RPG that'll hook me into it, which of these 5 would you recommend and why?



Two Worlds 2

The Witcher 2

Arcania: Gothic 4

Divinity II: Ego Draconis

Risen



What would you rate each of them in the following areas:

-Combat/Gameplay

-Exploration/Enviroment

-Skills/Classes

-Story

-Length



I like

- Fast paced, action-based hack %26amp; slash combat systems

- Lots of variety on skills, abilities, spells, classes etc

- Exploring, which of the above have more epic enviroments to explore and dungeon crawl?

- Side content/things to do besides slaying monsters and the main storyline

- Pets are a bonus but not a must

- CO-OP is a bonus but not a must



I like it when a game has such epic and detailed enviroments/atmospheres, dungeons and creatures that while you are exploring or dungeon/cave crawling and a creature/monster pops out at you, it'll literally scare the heck out of yah! Any of these capable of that?



Dragon Age 2 seems a bit too linear for my taste.Which of these 5 recent PC RPGs would you most recommend?
I have played all of the above except for The Witcher 2 (which I will get eventually). To be honest, I rate Gothic 4 as the worst of the bunch due to a very poor framerate on a high-end machine. And I wasn't the only one with the problem.

Next, Divinity 2. It's a beautiful game, with lush environments, cool skills, you turn into a dragon etc, but the ending is what blew it for me. The moment I finished the game, I gave it to a friend and forced myself to forget all about it. If you don't mind such an ending (if you're interested check the synopsis, I won't spoil it for you), it's a good game.

Two Worlds 2 has epic environments, as you put it, an excellent skill system, an even better magic system, side quests of various types (there's one where you race a horse from point a to point b, fun the first time but gets old). There's even a guitar-hero-esque minigame, throughout the game you can collect various musical instruments and then play in a town square for money. The bad side, though, is that most of the game world (which is huge) is practically empty. Seems they planned to publish DLCs, but the sales were too low, so they started making the third part instead.

As for Risen - I recommend it with all my heart. It is the best game on your list aside from probably The Witcher 2. Almost everything you asked for is in it except for the co-op. The only downside in the entire game is the lame boss battle at the end. But that's more than negligible for such an awesome masterpiece.



tl;dr - get Risen and The Witcher 2 =]Which of these 5 recent PC RPGs would you most recommend?
Isn't Risen basically just a different play through of Gothic III? I thought it used the same engine and everything... I tried to play it, but was so sick of Gothic that to just play a re-hash sounded like hell.



I'd say try Witcher II. I enjoyed the first Witcher, very unique game and good fast paced action. I'm going to get Witcher II once summer is over (I don't play games when the sun is out...)



I didn't really get into Two Worlds II. Just didn't care for it, don't know why.



Can't speak to the others...
  • quizno
  • international postal service
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment