Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Is the Dragon Age Origins combat system so bad it can put someone off buying/playingit?

I love story-driven immersive games. Bioware's Mass Effect was one such game, as was Zelda Ocarina of Time (when I was in my early teens). Both of these had story and quality gameplay that kept you more or less in one world.



Now I've been watching a lot of Dragon Age gamepaly videos/walkthroughs and I'm really loving the dialogue and story segments, especially the way the characters are developed and choices have to be made etc. HOWEVER, the combat system looks AWFUL!!! As soon as the dialogue and story parts finish, it seems to revert from being fantastic realistic escapism to what looks like cheap kiddy slash and dash, with multi-coloured circles under your feet and numbers popping into the air, etc.



With a lot of other good games out there (I'm still planning to get Mass Effect by the same developers), I'm not sure if this comabt system will put me off or not. I know the game is very long, but if it's 60 or so hours of this cheapy combat, then I don't know if I can last that long.



If you've played the game, do you think that the combat system is really that bad? Do you think I will still find incentive to play despite my dislike for such a combat system?Is the Dragon Age Origins combat system so bad it can put someone off buying/playingit?
No, the combat system is not that bad. It plays like an RPG. Your characters will automatically attack with a button press, but you have full control over what skills they use and when. You can also set various parameters for your party members to use their skills in specific situations. Dragon Age isn't a hack and slash game by any means.Is the Dragon Age Origins combat system so bad it can put someone off buying/playingit?
Ive played both DAO and DAA as well as ME 1 %26amp; 2. When your into ME you'd thinl that DAO is not as awsome as ME, however upon starting another playthrough of DAO/A, you'd get immersed in it and forget ME for a bit. They are both brilliant games.Is the Dragon Age Origins combat system so bad it can put someone off buying/playingit?
videos are decieving, just because it has an actionbar system doesnt mean it is very bad, it comes in level with ME2 in my books.
Well what platform are you interested in playing on?



Bear in mind that Bioware makes most of their games for PC, then port them to consoles. (ME2 was designed on consoles first, though). Cheap kiddy slash and dash? Have you never played an RPG before? Or rather, a Knights of the Old Republic game before? The combat system between the 2 games are very similar. If you have played KOTOR before, and liked the combat system, then Dragon Age won't be very different.



I made the mistake of getting Dragon Age on ps3. Everything about the game was great except for the combat. Me being mostly a PC gamer. I couldn't help but feel bothered at the fact that they crammed such an intuitive and complex combat system onto a console. Navigating the radial menu was cumbersome, and broke the flow of combat. And there a total lack of interface customization and camera options. Most other console gamers probably won't notice my issues, though.



I did, however. Return Dragon Age and bought it again on my PC. Everything about the game improved. Combat was also alot easier on the console version of the game. The "normal" mode on PC is incredibly difficult compared to the "normal" mode on consoles. The combat isn't out of the ordinary for an RPG game, but is complex, relentless, and highly tactical, and I even find it to be addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment